In the third of our series on the Falklands Air War we look at two further aspects of the campaign – battle damage and maintenance of the Sea Harriers. This is followed by an examination of how the Islands were defended post-conflict.
Our first interview is with Philip Crabtree (Fleet Air Arm retired), who worked on keeping the Sea Harriers operational and repairing battle damage when they returned from operations
We then go to the end of the conflict and see what happened after the war had finished and speak to Dave Gledhill (Flight Commander 1435 Flight) about his role on two tours defending the islands from the air.
This episode is dedicated to all of those from all sides of the conflict, who did not return home.
Contact Us: GetInvolved@aviation-Xtended.co.uk
- 03:16 – Philip Crabtree – Air Engineering Officer
- 04:38 – Dave Gledhill – Flight Commander 1435 Flight
- 48:19 – Feedback
- 06:42 – End
Listen now using the media player:
You can also download this episode of Xtended by clicking HERE or find us on iTunes by clicking the logo below:
Philip Crabtree can be reached through the Xtended team. Email us GetInvolved@aviation-Xtended.co.uk and we will pass on your message
- Fighters Over the Falklands: Defending the Islanders’ Way of Life
- http://fonthillmedia.com/Fighters-Over-the-Falklands (Currently on offer @ £18)
- Dave Gledhill Website http://deegee-media.webnode.com
- Thorpe Camp Visitor Centre (Home of the Tornado F3 sim): http://thorpecamp.wixsite.com/visitorscentre
- Twitter https://twitter.com/davegledhill1
- Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/davegledhillauthor/
- Tornado F3 Simulator: https://www.facebook.com/f3simulator/
- @Navalairhistory on twitter and navalairhistory.com
- Kisses From Nimbus: From SAS to MI6: An Autobiography https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kisses-Nimbus-SAS-MI6-Autobiography/dp/1911525778
- RAF Harrier Ground Attack, Falklands https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAF-Harrier-Ground-Attack-Falklands/dp/1848845561/ref=pd_sim_14_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C5GSM8X6DYVT0SY6DHY0
Like this and other podcast episodes at the Facebook Group – Aviation and Aerospace Podcasts